A vanity site for sure. When I get an urge to write a short story or a poem, here is where it lands. I even like a few of them. I hope you like even one.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fathers, Sons and Grandsons
By Jim Kittelberger





If only, when I was young
I could have shown the love
I felt, as easily as I can now.


But some of us store our feelings
Deep down inside.
Then only too late do we understand,
The selfishness of such an act.


It seems especially important for a boy
To hear the words, "I love you", from a father,
And much more likely he won't.


It's so few words to say and seems so easy.
"Yeah, right."
The voyage of feelings from heart to mouth
Is a difficult journey for men to take,
But if you are lucky, life will give you another chance.


The sons of my son fill me with love.
I talk to them, I listen to them, I play with them,
I squeeze them and they respond with love right
Back at you.


I savor it, I feel free and open with my love for them,
But each time, I feel a pang of guilt.
I felt the same love for my sons, so why couldn't I show it?


The journey from heart to mouth for my grown sons is not as long
A journey as mine was.
Their mother probably taught them that.
As for me, I tell all fathers who have the same
Problem I had, "What the heck are you waiting for? Your
Sons want to hear it and you want to say it.


It's a journey you will be so glad you took.

No comments:

Post a Comment