A vanity site for sure. When I get an urge to write a short story or a poem, here is where it lands. I even like a few of them. I hope you like even one.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

MIDNIGHT TRAIN
By Jim Kittelberger



Weary eyes refuse to close, and
I'm tired down to my toes, yet
another sleepless night seems plain
when I hear the midnight train.


Its that sound, that sound, it speaks to me
clackity-clack clackity-clack, the great steel wheels intoning their mantra,
clackity-clack clackity-clack, a fountainhead of imagination and quest
clackity-clack clackity-clack, wait, please wait,
but again, too soon it passes me by.



Clackity-clack clackity-clack
that hypnotizing sound calms me, soothes me, yet
beckons me as sea maids entice the sailor,


Clackity-clack clackity-clack
that evoker of memories, moments, dreams.
my whole being stirs, contemplates, then quiets



The iron colossus turns gently east into the midnight darkness
The ever increasing distance dimming the sound,
fainter, fainter, fainter until it
is no more.
my eyes close and dreams begin.



Copyright 2001 Jim Kittelberger. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment